Hurricanes can be one of the most dangerous natural disasters. About a month into the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season (June 1-November 30), it is predicted to be a busy one1. To help prepare your nonprofit or Human Services organization below are some tips and resources. Remember planning before a storm is the best way to be prepared.
- Develop a plan: Identify your organizations risk and vulnerabilities. Create a plan to address those areas, and a step-by-step process that you will follow in case of an emergency.
- Create a business continuity plan: How will you keep providing your invaluable services in case of a hurricane?
- Inform stakeholders: Ensure the necessary stakeholders know of the plans and their role in case of an emergency.
- Always follow local and state evacuation orders, and stay safe
- Be wary of flood water! Remember as little as 6 inches of flood water can knock over an adult. Turn Around Don’t Drown
- Implement your plans: Building safety, business continuity and, if necessary, crisis communication
- Clean your home and business safely and remember to take care your emotional health as well.
Below are a variety of resources to help you prepare and stay safe during a hurricane or tropical storm.
- National Hurricane Center and Central Pacific Hurricane Center
- CDC: Hurricanes and Other Tropical Storms
- Ready.Gov: Hurricanes
- National Weather Service: Hurricane Safety Tips and Resources
Suggestions and comments contained herein are provided for purposes of general education only. Suggestions and comments are not intended for the purpose of providing you with legal advice or legal counsel, and are not intended to assure compliance with or complete analysis of any law, rule or regulation. In addition, suggestions and comments should not be interpreted to imply or infer that all exposures, hazards or loss potentials on any subject or issue were identified or considered. No warranty, or guaranty of accuracy, fitness or suitability, express or implied, is granted with respect to any of the information contained herein.
Products and services are provided by one or more insurance company subsidiaries of W. R. Berkley Corporation. Not all products and services are available in every jurisdiction, and the precise coverage afforded by any insurer is subject to the actual terms and conditions of the policies as issued.